What’s Happening in Wichita County
Shop Local BINGO Contest
Now when you shop locally, you can win big! Wichita County Economic Development, in partnership with the E-Community Leadership team, is sponsoring a Shop Local BINGO contest. Shop at local businesses, stop at Wichita County attractions, and earn stamps to WIN! Participants can pick up a BINGO card at the Wichita County Economic Development office, located at 106 W. Broadway, as well as local businesses. Participants will have one month to fill out the BINGO card, starting September 1. Participants will be asked to spend a certain dollar amount at local businesses, visit local attractions and get signatures of certain Leoti citizens. “We want people to become more aware of how they can spend their money locally,” Wichita County Economic Development Director Diana Kirk explains, “We are also hoping to get people to stop in to stores or businesses they may never have been in before.” Families can work together to fill out BINGO cards, or individuals can fill out their own card. Completed BINGO cards need to be dropped off at the WCED office no later than 5pm on October 1. BINGO cards will not be accepted after 5pm on October 1. All BINGO cards that have been blacked out, with all spaces filled with stamps will be entered into a drawing for $500 in Leoti Business Bucks! BINGO cards that have a W design completed (see ad) will be entered into a drawing for secondary prizes. BINGO cards are randomized and each card is unique. The Shop Local BINGO contest will begin September 1 and end September 30. For answers to any questions, as well as a list of official rules, see below or contact the Wichita County Economic Development office by phone (620)375-2182, email firstname.lastname@example.org or stopping by 106 West Broadway. Happy shopping!
- The Shop Local BINGO contest is open to everyone, residents & non-residents of Wichita County included.
- Family units may participate together, working to fully complete one BINGO card.
- BINGO cards that have been BLACKED OUT will be eligible to win $500 in Leoti Business Bucks. BINGO cards with a W will be eligible for secondary prizes.
- Stamps are given by the businesses to the participants at the discretion of the business. That is, participants maybe be required to pay admission, complete a minimal task or purchase a certain dollar amount in goods before a stamp will be given.
- Winners are responsible for any taxes or other fees associated with the prizes.
- Winners & participants release Wichita County, Wichita County Economic Development, Inc, its boards, representatives & employees from any liabilities associated with participation in the Shop Local BINGO conest.
- The decision of Wichita County Economic Development, Inc is final.
- Please address any further questions to the Wichita County Economic Development office. (620)375-2182, email@example.com or at 106 W. Broadway in Leoti.
Wichita County Farmers’ & Artisan Market
Every Wednesday from the beginning of May through the end of October, the lawn of the Wichita County Courthouse will be the place to buy fresh produce and local art. The market begins each Wednesday at 5pm, weather permitting. If you’d like to be a vendor, fill out the Artisan Market Rules 2015 and return it to the Wichita County Economic Development Office located at 106 W. Broadway. For more information, call (620)375-2182.
Donate now to the WCHS Track Fund through Wichita County Community Foundation
The WCHS Track Fund reached $242,000 by December 31. Thanks to many great donors for making this possible! We are halfway to the goal. Don’t miss AIM for the Track 5K on April 18 and Flapjacks for the Track on June 6 to raise money to reach the finish line.
Are you interested in moving to Wichita County?
Have you heard about ROZ?
Rural Opportunity Zones are 50 counties that have been authorized to offer one or both of the following financial incentives to new full-time residents:
- Kansas income tax waivers for up to five years
- Student loan repayments up to $15,000
For more information, click here.
Wichita County Severe Weather Information
With the possibility of severe weather this upcoming weekend, please be prepared to take precautions should severe weather hit Wichita County. The three tornado shelters located in the City of Leoti are Leoti United Methodist Church (111 South Wyoming Street), Wichita County Courthouse (206 South 4th, enter through south doors) and The Museum of the Great Plains (201 North 4th). If a tornado is sighted in Wichita County, the sirens in Leoti will sound long and continuously. An officer from the Sheriff’s Department will go to Marienthal and warn the citizens there. The signal for “all clear” is three short whistles from the tornado sirens. Be sure that your weather radio has fresh batteries in case the power goes out.
• Available Jobs • Business Start-up Assistance • Network Kansas E-Community • Investment Opportunities • Rural Opportunity Zone (ROZ) Incentives • Tax Deductible Charitable Giving Options